This is what my kitchen looks like Saturday afternoon, midsummer. Heaven!
I’ve written a lot about my adventures at the Farmer’s Market this year, and I’ve often referenced the ‘game’ that D and I always play. We make it our mission each and every week to find at least one *special* item amidst the many. Ideally it’s something I’ve never cooked with (or never eaten at all!), but maybe it’s something just come into season, all new and nostalgic and treasured (hello, berries!).
So along with all the standards and staples, these are the specials we picked up each week. I love how this list paints the progression of the seasons.
*Star means I’d never cooked with it before.
**Double star means I’d never even eaten it!
1) Mustard Greens**
My spin on a clasic soup: Split Pea With Fennel And Potato.
5) Yellow Zucchini** & Escarole*
My first ever experiment with Favas – fresh Farmer’s Fava Bean Dip.
7) Sylvan Berries**
8) Blueberries & Sugar Snap Peas
Raw peach and berry tart with cashew cream.
10) Snow Peas & Abalone Mushrooms**
11) Cubanelle Peppers**
Steamed Italian Artichoke served with a chunky three-olive dip.
13) Brussels Sprouts* & Maitake Mushrooms*
14) Pickling Cucumbers* & wild-gathered “Chicken Of The Woods” Mushrooms**
15) New Zealand Spinach**
Vegan nigiri with seared Japanese Eggplants.
17) Miniature Honeydew Melon** & Parsnips
18) Yellow Finn Potatoes** & Long Beets**
Waits helps me prepare my very first Spaghetti Squash.
22) Tat Soi**
23) French Fingerling Potatoes