AND HELLO SPRING!!!
This past Saturday, March 20th, was the vernal equinox that marks the first day of spring – and you better believe I was thinking of you guys on that day! I’m still technically on maternity leave, but I wanted to ‘come out of hibernation’, as it were, (how season-appropriate!) to acknowledge the passing of another winter. And to celebrate!
Here in Portland the first day of spring coincided with the first day of the 2010 Farmer’s Market. There was no way I was going to miss that! So we ventured forth – my husband, my son, my father, and I – for Waits’ very first outing (and first of *many* Farmer’s Markets, I’m sure)
And I know I’ve confessed to being a freaky autumn lover, but I gotta say: there’s nothing quite like a little sunny lovin’ after a long winter. So I’ve put together another love list, of things that make me excited for springtime!
Why I <3 Spring
- BEING OUTSIDE! After 10 weeks of bed rest, birth, and then these quiet postpartum days, I’m so looking forward to getting out and being active!
- Walking my sweet boydogs. I’ve so missed my daily neighborhood meandering. Now I’ll be roving with the little one strapped to my chest, and it’ll feel so great to get back into shape!
- Garden Season! Oh, but of course. My plate is pretty full and I’ll have to scale back my ambitions this year, but that won’t stop me from getting my hands as dirty as possible. I’m planning a bigger and better patio herb garden, and I’ll be filling my planter boxes with tomatoes, tomatoes, tomatoes (lordy I’m ready for good tomatoes again!)
- Getting my vitamin D direct from the source.
- Backyard makeovers! While I may not be gardening as much this year, Damian and I have grand plans for a complete landscaping overhaul. It will be Damian’s next big project, and it’s going to be RAD.
- Sweet sexy sundresses. Unpacking my warm weather wardrobe, and hiding away all the coats and scarves. Bare legs and sandals and the delicious smell of sunscreen (which, to my mind, means grand adventures). Wearing light-as-air cotton, and glittery flip-flops, and . . . my son! =)
- Last Thursday, and First Thursday, and all the other magnificent art culture that Portland has to offer. My son and I will be making the rounds, to be sure.
- Foodie season! Oh man, I do love soups and hearty winter fare, but I’m so ready for FRESH veggies, RAW meals, and all the delicious VARIETY that we get this time of year. Asparagus, artichokes, berries (!!!), oh my. Can. Not. Wait.
- Making sun tea! With fresh mint, grown in my own yard.
- Nature. Playing at the river, hiking in the gorge, exploring the arboretum, and more more more!
- Green smoothies for breakfast. Eating really, really healthy.
- And mostly, taking the time to smell those fresh spring blooms, to slow down and really look around, to love on my new family, and to appreciate this incredible life!
I hope that you’re all enjoying these first few kisses of springtime (or autumn’s invigorating chill, for those of you in the southern hemisphere). I’m going to go back into hiding now, and continue to enjoy these precious, once-in-a-lifetime first weeks, with my newborn firstborn.
For those of you interested, I finally finished writing my [incredibly verbose - would you expect anything less? haha] Birth Story, which you can read here.
For the visually-minded, Waits has his very own microblog (maintained by Damian), here, with tons of photos and even a few words.
And finally, some thank you’s are in order.
A huge and heartfelt THANK YOU to Matt J, the L family, and Barbara B, for the generous contributions to my tip jar. You guys help to make all this possible, and I hope you know how much your support means to me.
A special THANK YOU to Katherine D, who sent me a Neti Pot off of my wishlist. I’m so excited to finally have one, and just in time for pollen season too. You rock!!!
And the sincerest of THANK YOUs to Jacquelyn, who sent me and my son a package of beautiful handmade bibs and burp cloths. These are amazing, I’m so impressed with your craft, and so incredibly touched at the sweet gesture. They are treasures, truly.
So thank you again, and thank you to all of you out there. You’re all my inspiration. I hope you’ll bear with me on my hiatus, and I hope to see you still here when I return!
Now, my dears, what are YOU looking forward to in the coming season?