Light painting and champagne on the Oregon coast, summer 2009.
AND HELLO AUTUMN!!!
Yes, today is the autumnal equinox, the very first day of fall! Depending on your exact location, today and tonight will be roughly the same length. And can you feel that *crisp* creeping into the air???
I know I’m in the freaky minority in a sea of spring and summer lovers, but autumn is by far and away my favorite season. I love the feeling of it, the change of it, the flavors of it, the colors of it . . . the clothing of it! (tights and scarves and hats oh my!!!) So I thought I’d put together a little list of things I’m looking forward to this fall. I’m so excited!
Why I <3 Autumn
- It’s apple season! I’m going to go apple tasting, revel in the first Honeycrisps of the year, take a billion pictures, and sample heirloom apples until I explode.
- It’s tea season! Time to dust off the little Bee House and unwrap my favorite looseleaf blend. Perfect for workday afternoons, an entire pot at a time.
- Eating soups and soups and more soups, with hearty homemade bread. I hereby declare autumn ’09 to be the official season of soup-cooking!
- Switching out my wardrobes. Packing up sundresses and tank tops, and un-boxing sweaters and scarves. Ending up feeling like I went on a shopping spree because I’d forgotten about all those clothes – but without spending any money!
- Wearing leggings and stripey knee socks and leg warmers, all layered together under dresses and scarves.
- Hot porridge for breakfast!
- Commencing rotation of the extensive warm and funky hat collection!
- Re-accustoming my hands to the constant coverings of stripey and fuzzy fingerless gloves.
- Visits to Ashland, Shasta, Southern California, and Seattle
- Having an amazing vegan Thanksgiving with my awesome omni family. Sharing recipes for cruelty-free cooking. Drinking the really good wine.
- Winter squash! Butternut, Acorn, and heirlooms, roasted up whole for dinner.
- Toasted squash seeds!
- Pumpkin curry!
- Becoming a pro pickler. Pickling my cucumbers. Pickling my beets. Pickling everything!
- Nurturing my fall garden right into winter, and continuing to harvest that fresh, homegrown produce. Such a cold-weather gift.
- And for all that slow cooking I’ll be doing: less podcasts/politics, More Music!!!
What about you my darlings? What are you eagerly anticipating in this coming season, wherever you may be?