Rebhal family portrait, by the amazing and talented Nat Smith.
Hello hello! The return of regularly scheduled blogging, the return of The Weekend Send-Off, and of course, the return of the weekend! It’s sunny bright and finally looking like summer here in Portland, and although we’ve got a lot of work to do, we’re really looking forward to a nice long 3-day weekend full of good friends and good food. I hope that wherever you are in the world, in the hight of summer or the depths of winter, you’re having fun and seizing the season. And Americans – happy fourth! May you have blast and may you grill many delicious vegetables and not-dogs. And be safe!
Before we jump into the love list, WHICH I MISSED SO MUCH LAST WEEK, I just wanted to let you know: if you’ve commented on the site or sent me an email in the last few weeks, you’ve probably heard nothing but the sound of crickets in return. My inbox is a pathetic pile-up, but I’ll be working my way through emails and comments in the next few days. I’m sorry, but please know that I read everything and I truly appreciate every single one, even if I can’t respond right away.
Okay . . .
Le Love List
1. That portrait up there! Isn’t that fantastic?! I love that she put me in the “Vegan” sweatshirt, and Waits in his little stripey shirt, and she even got Damian’s tattoos. She nailed it! So so adorable Nat, THANK YOU! The print will definitely be hanging in our home. If anyone is interested, Nat does custom portraits (people and objects) and you can find her work on her Etsy.
2. My new bike! I never ever buy myself nice/”big” things, but I took my advance and I done got myself a “yay, you wrote 2 books!” present. Ain’t she a beauty? I’m still trying to come up with a name for her . . . my last bike, Althea, was named after the wife and muse of porn king and political rabble-rouser Larry Flynt. This one, I just don’t know . . .
Also, YES that is an iBert stinger! I’ll be writing all about it soon, but suffice it to say: omg babies in bike helmets is maybe the cutest thing ever.
3) My new tumblr. So apparently I’m becoming a hobby photographer. This came as a big shock to me, but I’m rolling with it. Also, I used to write an online journal to keep in touch with far-off friends and family, but that’s been defunct for a few months now. So I’d originally intended for the tumblr to be a way for loved ones to stay connected to us (read: get their daily Waits fix), but then I figured I might as well share it here. Y’all are loved ones! And, well, I have a pretty damn cute kid (see above), and I live in a pretty damn cool city, so maybe you, too, would like to see random snap-shots of our daily goings on? Or maybe I’m just a compulsive over-sharer. Either way, I’m having a blast with it so if you’re interested, here it is.
What? You think we should have more than three lovely things? ME TOO!
4. “Little House On The Prairie” in my backyard. Between the long winter and the book writing and the baby teething, I’d totally dropped the ball on line drying my laundry. But this week I’m back at it, and it brings me indescribable comfort to glance outside and see my linens blowing in the breeze. Why does this bring me so much joy? Maybe because I am, and always will be, a hippie at heart. ♥
5. My kitchen as a playground, not an office. I love love love raw foods and the razor’s edge of creativity and innovation that uncooking has allowed me to cultivate. HOWEVER, writing recipes on deadline is pretty draining, and when every meal becomes a “job”, it can become less than fun. This week, I’ve been LOVING the freedom to eat what I want to eat, when I want to eat it, which for me really means eating very simple and plain foods. But even moreso, I’ve had the time and energy to re-devote myself to Waits’ diet, and we’ve had a lot of fun exploring new ingredients and preparations (like sprouted rye berries, steamed asparagus and kale, garlic-infused olive oil on quinoa, pumpkin seed powder on everything, hummus fortified with hemp oil, homemade raw young Thai coconut yogurt [why is cracking coconuts SO fun??!], snow peas warm off the vine in our garden, and on and on).
Yeah, life is good.
Alright guys, now it’s your turn – tell me what you’re loving this week!
My darlings, this happy little post will stay at the top of the page all weekend, so stop by any time to leave your Love List, ask a question, or offer some feedback! Or if you’re new, please introduce yourself and say ‘Oi!’! This is your community, so get involved!