Now that the Solstice has come and gone we are officially into summer – woo hoo! That means it’s time for pool parties, picnics, beach excursions, lawn bowling (amiright??!) and of course, BBQ. From the 4th of July to Labor Day and many a long lazy weekend in between, tis the season for gettin’ your grill on!
At the urging of one of our readers, Kathryn, I’ve scoured the internets for vegan BBQ recipes. And you know what? There’s not a whole lot out there! Toooons of vegetarian recipes but slim pickin’s for the purely veg. Well, I’ll just have to do something about that . . . summer cooking projects!
In the meantime, here’s the best of the best that’s out there right now. My criteria were that the recipe had to be interesting (anyone can drizzle olive oil on a mushroom cap and grill it) and that it had to include an image – I won’t make something if I don’t have a picture to associate with it. If any of you have an awesome vegan BBQ recipe, please link to it or write it up in the comments!
- Starting off with the veggie that inspired this whole post, no BBQ is complete without corn on the cob! Try my Barbecued Miso Corn, or hit up this Chili-Lime Corn on the Cob from Epicurean Vegan.
- I’m a super sucker for artichokes, and these Grilled Baby Artichokes from Planet Green look delicious!
- We all know I’m I’m not a huge fan of eggplants, but I’d be willing to try this Grilled Eggplant with Walnut-Cilantro Pesto that was featured in the LA Times food section. As well, SusanV from FatFree Vegan Kitchen offers these Grilled Baby Eggplants with Korean Barbecue Sauce that not only look delicious, but are totally adorable as well!
- For spudsy people there are a few varieties: Rachael Ray’s Spicy Steak Fry Skewers look divine, and these Grilled Sweet Potatoes with Lime Cilantro Vinaigrette at gourmet.com make my mouth water (that’s the power of the photograph!)
- And finally, my love of fresh seasonal tomatoes has me pining over these Plum Tomato Skewers with Artichoke Pesto, again from Rachael Ray.
Faux Meats/Omni Subs
- There’s no absence of barbecued tofu recipes out there, so I wanted to feature one that was extra special. This Chipotle Barbecued Tofu from FatFree Vegan Kitchen really impressed me! I must try this recipe! For a more traditional route check out these many variations from Vegan Dad.
- Seitan is great for grilling because it really holds up well. If you ever loved barbeque ribs, you’ve gotta try SusanV’s Barbecued Seitan Ribz. If you prefer your seitan skewered, Vegan Yum*Yum has a lovely looking Tamarind Seitan Kabob.
- And what about a not-dog?? No BBQ is complete without a sausage in a bun, right? How about Vegan Dad’s own Homemade Vegan Bratwurst, smothered in probiotic-rich sauerkraut? NOM!
- I can’t wait to try this South Carolina Golden Mustard Barbecue Sauce from the apparent BBQ Queen, SusanV. I think it would be absolutely amazing on tempeh!
- I love the idea of barbecued desserts! These delicious looking Sweet and Hot Sugared Melons from Rachael Ray really remind me of my own Mezcal Grilled Pineapples.
- Um, Barbecued Bananas with Caramel and Chocolate Sauce? Thank you, Vegan Dad.
- This Grilled Apple Pie recipe is genius, such a fun idea. Just make sure you use vegetable shortening to make it vegan! I like this organic, non-hydrogenated palm shortening the best.
- How to use a Clay Baker on the grill, from Vegan Dad.
- Also from Vegan Dad, how to Smoke Tofu (or veggies, or whatever).
- And last but certainly not least, The Post Punk Kitchen shows us how to Make Pizza on the Grill.
Are you hungry yet? Prepare to drool with this little video featuring one of my own personal inspirations, Colleen Patrick-Goudreau:
Happy grilling guys!